WERC offers dental programs for dental assistants and licensed hygienists.
Local Anesthesia Certificate
Local Anesthesia Refresher
Local Anesthesia Certificate (WHD002-66)
ONLINE from 4/4/15-5/16/15
Lab dates: Sat. 5/16/15, Sun. 5/17/15 and Sat. 5/30/15 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Local Anesthesia Certificate (WHD002-67)
ONLINE from 6/20/15-7/31/15
Lab dates: Sat. 8/1/15, Sun. 8/2/15 and Sat. 8/8/15 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
This course will provide a comprehensive study of local dental anesthetics utilized in the
dental hygiene profession. During lecture and lab components, the participant will
learn to safely administer topical and local dental anesthetics.
Course # WHD002 is taught in two phases, and includes 11 hours of on-line pre-study exercises
and assignments, 12 hours of on-site didactic instruction, and 14 hours of on-site clinical instruction. It is specifically designed to provide the participant with the 35 hours of local anesthesia instruction required to prepare the participant to take the NERB Local Anesthesia Examination and obtain the “Permit L” Local Anesthesia licensure from the State of Massachusetts. (This course covers the Massachusetts Rules and Regulations 234 CMR 3.09-3.14, and the requirements for administration of local dental anesthetics by dental hygienists.)
Fee: The fee for this course is $1,199.00 per person, (online component $549.00, lab component $650.00). The course is limited to 14 participants.
Payment may be made by check (made payable to Cape Cod Community College) or credit card at the time of registration. At the close of registration (deadline date), and once payment is received, participants will be notified by mail or e-mail and given his/her login name and password. This process may take several days. After receiving this information, the student will have access to the on-line pre-study course material.
Pre-Course Requirements (Documentation of the first four items is required prior to the start of the on site course):
- Current CPR certification*
- Proof of immunity to HBV by titer test*
- Personal Malpractice insurance coverage*
- Current state licensure*
- A medical history form is provided online and must be completed prior to attending this course.
- Each participant must be able to both receive and administer local anesthetic agents. These are standard requirements for all clinical activities.
*Copies must be sent to the following address prior to the start of the course:
Denise Bridges RDH, MHA
Dental Hygiene Program
Cape Cod Community College
2240 Iyannough Road
W. Barnstable, MA 02668
Online Pre-Study Expectations: This condensed course format reduces a full-semester course into 3 days of class attendance; therefore an online pre-study component is required. Extensive time must be devoted to the pre-study readings and DVD viewing in order to complete the additional 11 hours of exercises and assignments to successfully complete this course. The online pre-study preparation contains tests and exercises that must be completed prior to attending the on-site lecture and clinical sessions. Students are expected to have internet access, basic computing and web skills in order to complete this course. Registration is required at least 5 weeks prior to the on-site course starting date in order to allow access to the pre-study course material.
Certification: At the completion of this on-site course, participants will take a mock written NERB exam, and a clinical practicum which is pass or fail. One must receive a grade of 75 or better in the written exam combined with a pass clinical grade in order to receive certification of completion for local anesthesia training. A certificate of completion will not be issued to anyone with less than three full days of attendance; and / or has not satisfactory completed the on-line or on-site course work requirements.
Required Text: Stanley Malamed, Handbook of Local Anesthesia, 6th Edition with accompanying DVD (available at CCCC bookstore)
Recommended Reading: Brand & Isselhard, Anatomy of Orofacial Structures
(available at CCCC bookstore)
To be completed prior to the on-site course:
- Exercises and reading in the Blackboard pre-study component. (Printed from Moodle pre-study material).
- Pre-test multiple choice questions.
- Review text and DVD according the Blackboard course documents: Handbook of Local Anesthesia, 6th Ed. by Stanley Malamed
What to bring to class:
- Completed Medical History (Printed from Moodle pre- study material).
- Completed Informed Consent (Printed from Moodle pre- study material).
- Clinic attire (long sleeve scrub top, scrub pants and clinical shoes).
- Safety Glasses
- Latex-free Gloves
- Face Masks
- Bring online self-study workbook and all injections techniques, (printed from Moodle pre-study material).
Download and complete our registration form. Payment may be made by check (made out to Cape Cod Community College) or credit card. At the close of registration (deadline date), and once payment is received, participants will be notified by mail or e-mail and given his/her login name and password. This process may take several days. After receiving this information, the student will have access to the online pre-study course material.
Please read our registration and refund policy before registering for classes.
Please contact Denise Bridge at email@example.com, or by phone at (508) 362-2131 x4733, with questions about this course.
Resources for professional liability insurance:
- Healthcare Providers Service Organization – www.hpso.com or (800) 982-9491
- Chicago Insurance Company (Affiliated with ADHA) – www.proliability.com/26108 or (800) 503-9230
Local Anesthesia Refresher (WHD007-63)
Saturday 9/26/15, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: M.M. Wilkens (formally South Building), 2240 Iyannough Road, West Barnstable, MA.
This hands-on local anesthesia course will focus on refreshing and/or updating skills in delivering injections. Local anesthesia techniques will be demonstrated to improve success rate and troubleshoot difficult anatomy. Time will be spent on the Inferior Alveolar injection, Posterior Superior Alveolar injection and helpful injections technique tips for infiltration and nerve blocks. Recent graduates as well as experienced hygienists are welcome. In order to register for this course, participants must hold current Massachusetts Permit L licensure. Please feel free to come to this course with any questions or problems you have encountered during your practice as a licensed “Massachusetts Permit L” clinician. Participants must be able to serve as patients and receive as well as administer local anesthesia.
Students will learn to:
- Demonstrate and perform injection anesthesia techniques commonly used by dental hygienists
- Practice nerve block injections such as inferior alveolar/lingual, mental, greater palatine, nasopalatine
- Learn about new anesthetic products
Notes: All participants must bring to class:
- Copy of malpractice insurance certificate
- Current Dental Hygiene and Permit L licenses
- Clinical attire (scrub tops and pants, clinical shoes, gloves and safety glasses)
Registration Form for Local Anesthesia Refresher