Image of the Lyndon P. Lorusso Applied Technology building

GOLD LEED – Lorusso Building

Lyndon P. Lorusso Applied Technology Building "At A Glance"

Named by Paul and Lila Lorusso on Monday March 11, 2002. In ceremonies in the Tilden Arts Center on the West Barnstable campus the couple were applauded for their $1 million challenge gift to the College, made in the name of their son Lyndon P. Lorusso, as the leadership gift in the College Educational Foundation's "Changing Lives – Building Community" capital campaign.

This gift keeps alive the spirit of the Lorusso's only child, Lyndon, who was killed in a tragic accident when he was only 17 years old. By making the gift in his son's name, it becomes part of a pattern of "giving back," as Mr. Lorusso puts it, that flows through three generations of the family.

"It began with my father impressing on us that even during the depression we could do something for others. So, we found food, fruit, I especially remember bananas that we gave to those who needed it badly…Later on, Lila and I always spoke to Lyndon of his responsibility to give back not only portions of his financial gifts, but of himself as well. As a teenager we told him that his share of our family's acquired fortune would be 10%, and the remaining 90% would be given to charity. His reply was to ask if he could give some of his portion to charity as well. We honor that spirit in our gift to the College today," explained Mr. Lorusso during a press briefing in the College's Tilden Arts Center.

It was built adjacent to the Grossman Commons Building within the "ring road" of the campus (a one-way road the encircles the campus). The College was recognized in April of 2002 with a U.S. EPA "Environmental Merit Award" for CCCC's commitment to environmental protection, conservation, and "green" management practices. That award is believed to be the first ever awarded to a community college. It received the Community College Futures Assembly Bellwether Award 2006 for its long-standing commitment to sustainability as exemplified by the building's design and construction.

The new building continues that commitment. It will be first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified public building constructed in Massachusetts. LEED is a voluntary national standard for developing high-performance, sustainable buildings. It was created to define the term "green building" through a common standard of measurement, and to promote "green building" construction.

Highly efficient energy use and the use of renewable sources where possible are key elements in the concept. Conserving water and electricity, choosing low-toxicity construction materials for the building itself, and making the indoor air quality a key consideration in designing and furnishing the facility are the general guidelines under which a building is certified.

A comprehensive "green building study" was done to determine what LEED elements would work best in the Lyndon P. Lorusso Applied Technology Center.

See: Gold LEED Certification BrochurePDF document