Hyannis Normal School/Hyannis State Teachers College Alumni Collection
This is the second collection of materials regarding the Hyannis Normal School and the Hyannis State Teachers College. Materials are gathered by the Hyannis State Teachers College Alumni and include:
- Bound log of Alumni Meetings (1948–2002)
- Membership Lists (1899–1971)
- Scrapbooks recording class activities and members (1907–1979)
Alumni listings including:
- Necrology of alumni
- Programs from alumni annual meetings (1973–2004)
- Papers relating to the Annie Crowell Scholarship and recipients (1957–2007)
A folder on Ada Bassett Litchfield (1916–1999), obituary, her works and information regarding her donation to the scholarship fund is included. Ephemera, photographs and publications from the Hyannis Teachers College are also compiled as part of this collection, along with a name file cabinet of all graduates of this noted institution devoted to teacher education. Information on the dissolution of the Hyannis State Teachers College Alumni Association is included.
Gift of: Elna Nelson and Hyannis State Teachers College Alumni Association
205 Old Post Road
Centerville, MA 02632.
Folder I: Alumni Annual Meetings
Records of Hyannis Teachers College Alumni Meetings 1948–2002, 229 pgs. with enclosures 1997-2002 Alumni Minutes. Also Constitution of State Teachers College Alumni Association as amended May 20, 1939.
1 leather bound notebook, hand script
Folder II: Scrapbooks
- Faculty, Class Members 1899–1909, biographies, letters, and clippings.
- Faculty, Class Members 1910–1919
- Faculty, Class Members 1920–1929
- Faculty, Class Members 1930–1939
Associated Members, 1940–1944
- Memory Book: Hyannis Summer School 1907-1909
- Compiled by Dorothy Nye Holway, Sagamore, Mass., [27 pgs., several loose pages] includes 1907-1912.
- 4 sepia photographs building, grounds, class (4 items) 1929
- Ephemera including Commencement exercise booklet Class of 1909,
- Summer Session Catalog, 1909; 1909 Teachers Convention at Normal School
- Hyannis. Report cards, letters, Great Island Club booklet, 1909.
- Hyannis Normal School Class of 1928
- 1928 Memories 1988
- Reunion Photographs, 18 color photographs 7 pgs.
- Biographies of students 20 pgs
- Vintage Photographs, School and activities 16 items.
- HNS 1929-1979 Hyannis Normal School Class of 1929
15 pgs, typescript. Listing of 1929 graduates with biographies.
- Class of 1940 Dedicated to: Annie S. Crowell
Individual Photographs of student with inscriptions [32 pgs.]
Scrapbook with wood covers, leather ties, 30 portraits of students with inscriptions.
Records of Names of All who belonged to the H.S.T.C Alumni Assoc. faithfully recorded by:
Eleanor Nickerson Roy
313 Forest Street
No. Dighton, MA 02764
- 1 loose leaf 102 pgs. Hand script with enclosures: clippings, photographs, Poem “Down on the South Shore of old Cape Cod”
- Hyannis Teachers College Club. Booklet with 1978 revised edition By-laws with Officers, committees and membership. 19pgs.
- HSTC Alumni Addresses 4/18/00. 6pgs. With Associate Members.
- Hyannis Alumni Association Directory. May 19, 2001. 8pgs. Typescript.
- Hyannis Alumni Association Directory. May 18, 2002. 8pgs. Typescript.
- Hyannis Alumni Association Annual Meeting Programs 1973–2004
- Constitution 1939-2001
- Alumni Lists 1998-2004
- Class Remembrances 1916–1948
- Alumni Officers and Reports 1986–2002
- Alumni Dinner Reservations 1996–2003
- Jean W. Gordon Scholarship Fund (1 folder) 2002 Applications
- Scholarship Guidelines/Recipients 1957–2007
- Scholarship Committee Reports 1978–1998
- Scholarship Letters 1989–2005, undated
- Scholarship Recipients, Thank you Letters 1989–2006
- Scholarship Recipients, Photographs (1 folder)
- Annie Crowell Scholarship 1976–1990
- Annie Crowell Scholarship 1989–1994
- Annie Crowell Scholarship 1991–1997
- Correspondence/2 folders
- Scholarship Fund
- Cape Cod Foundation Folder Activities regarding the Annie S Crowell Scholarship 2002.
- Annie S. Crowell Scholarship Committee Reports History, 1976–1998
- Scholarship Recipients 1956–1998 Prepared by Marguerite Kelley
- Community Foundation of Cape Cod 2004‐1999 re: Scholarship Fund.
- Charlotte Forgeron & Eleanor Kelley
- Ada Bassett Litchfield (1916–1999) 1937 graduate of Hyannis Teachers College, contributed $100,000 to the Annie Crowell Scholarship Fund. (1 folder)
- Obituaries, “Ode to Ada”, 1999 by Elna Nelson, copy of publication “Cane in Her Hand” by Ada B. Litchfield c1977; 2 videocassettes with 30 copied episodes of “All About You” children’s television program written by Ada Bassett Litchfield, WGBH 1974
- Dissolution Information, 1989 Amendment to Constitution of Hyannis State
- Teachers College Alumni Association. (1 Folder)
- Last Will and Testament of Ada B. Litchfield
- Community Foundation of Cape Cod Reports 1989–2002
- Community Foundation of Cape Cod/Correspondence 1999–2006
- Hyannis Spirit (publication) proofs
Box III: Publications
- State Teachers College at Hyannis, Mass. Bulletin 1934
- State Teachers College at Hyannis, Mass. Bulletin, 1936.
- State Teachers College at Hyannis, Catalog 1932.
- State Teachers College at Hyannis Preliminary Announcement 40th Summer Session, July 6–August 13, 1937 Course of Studies. 1 sheet.
- State Teachers College, Hyannis 40th Summer Session, 1937
- State Teachers College, Hyannis 42nd Summer Session, 1939.
- State Teachers College, Hyannis 43rd Summer Session, 1940.
- Hyannis Normal School, Graduation Exercises, 1915.
- Hyannis Normal School, Class of 1927 Class Day and Graduation.
- Hyannis Normal School, Class of 1929. Class Day and Graduation.
- State Normal School, June 16, 1930.
- Graduation Exercises of the Class 1933
- State Teachers College, Hyannis. Class of 1933. Class Day and Graduation.
- State Teachers College, Hyannis. Class of 1934. Class Day and Graduation.
- State Teachers College, Hyannis. Class of 1935. Class Day and Graduation.
- State Teachers College, Hyannis. Class of 1936. Class Day and Graduation.
- State Teachers College, Hyannis. Class of 1937. Class Day and Graduation.
- Commencement Exercises. State Teachers College at Hyannis. 42nd Summer Session. Barnstable High School. Aug. 12, 1949.
- Commencement Exercises. State Teachers College at Hyannis 49th Summer Session
- Barnstable County Teachers Association. Annual Conference. State Teachers College, Hyannis. October 28, 1932
- State Teachers College, Hyannis, MA Glee Club Concert, 1933
- Senior Degree Class of the State Teachers College presents Two One-Act Plays, 1934.
- Class of 1938 of Hyannis State Teachers College invitation, Junior Promenade, 1938.
- New Town Hall Dedication, Commemorative Program, 1979.
- Hyannis College Club, New Bedford, 1935. Booklet compiled by Helen Driscoll with the help of many charter members.
- 6pgs. Typescript.
- Hyannis Normal School. Anniversary Booklet 1897–1922, Wright & Potter Printing Co, 1922. (2 copies)
- Hyteco: edited by Freshman Class, June 1933 17 pgs. with autographs.
- Iyanough. State Teachers College, Hyannis, Mass. Vol. IV June 1934, 54 pgs, with autographs. [Yearbook]
- Iyanough. State Teachers College, Hyannis, Mass. 1937 49 pgs with autographs, Elna Ruska editor in chief. [Yearbook]
- Student Handbook for 1932–1933 State Teachers College, Hyannis., Mass.
- Student Handbook for 1935–1936 State Teachers College, Hyannis, Mass.
- Elna Ruska written on title page.
- Who’s Who Alumni Association, State Normal School, Hyannis, Mass. 1922 (2 copies)
- Weekly Bulletin of the State Teachers College at Hyannis:
No. 2 42nd Summer Session – July 19, 1939
No. 3 42nd Summer Session – July 26, 1939.
No. 4 42nd Summer Session – Aug 2, 1939.
- Foghorn Vol. I. No. I Jan. 1934
- Foghorn Vol. I. No. II May 1934
- Foghorn Vol. II. No. I Nov. 1934
- Foghorn Vol. II. No. III June 1935
- Foghorn Vol. III. No. I Nov. 1935
- Foghorn Vol. II. No. II April 1935
- Foghorn Vol. III. No. II Feb. 1936
- Foghorn Dec. 1936
- Foghorn Vol. III. No. III June 1936
- Foghorn Jan. 1937, Jan 29, 1937, Feb. 16, 1937, Feb. 26, 1937
- Foghorn Commencement Issue, 1937
- Foghorn Vol. I. No. 4 April 1939
- Hyannis Spirit: 100 Years of “Hyannis Spirit”: 1894–1994.
- Compiled by Marguerite (Baker) Kelley, Eleanor (Nickerson) Roy and Elna (Ruska) Nelson. 1994. Printed: Dennis port: Graphic Illusions. (8 copies) also Manuscript, paste-up for “Hyannis Spirit” 44 pgs, Hand scripted draft (11 pgs.), typewritten draft (26 pgs.)
Hyannis State Teachers College Song. Played by Joan Coeberg. (2 copies)
- 1 Pouch: 3 items: Sterling Book page marker with rose pattern. S. Kirk & Son.
- 1 bracelet State Teachers College, 1897.
- 1 sterling pin with State Teachers College Hyannis logo and chain.
- 1 pennant on stick: Hyannis with State Teachers College, 1897 logo.
- Freshmen Initiation in 1933 kit: paper green bow, name placard, Elna Ruska, with autographs of fellow students, teachers.
- H.S. N.S. Annual Dance, May 8, 1914 Dance card with pencil. Frances Maker, 1915.
- Junior Prom, Hyannis State Teachers College, 6/4/1937. Dance card with cord.
- HSTC Banquet 1933. Program.
- Iyanough Society Apr. 30, 1907 Program.
- Masshantsampaigne, March 26, 1907. Program.
- Hyannis State Teachers College Presents H.M.S. Pinafore Program, 1935
- Hyannis State Teachers College presents "The Gondoliers”.
- In Memoriam: Herbert H. Howes Program.
- An appreciation: Annie S. Crowell. Program, 1956 Bessie Morse Atwood.
- Christmas Customs across the Sea. Presented by the students of the State Teachers College at Hyannis.
- Letter, 1992 announcing the Plaque in the Barnstable Town Hall: “Original Campus and Buildings, Hyannis Normal School, etc.”
- Name Tags, (47 items), Name and year of graduation or affiliation 1918-1944
BOX IV: Photographs
1 box: Buildings, Class photographs, school activities 1899-2005 (reunion photographs). Approx. 177 items.
2 drawers chronological order 1899-Summer 1949, listing Class Year, Address, Reunions attended, death date. Approx. 1,400 names of Hyannis Normal School/Hyannis State Teachers College graduates and Associate members.
BOX V:News Clippings
- 1920–2000 Activities, classes photographs, obituaries.
- Hyannis Normal School/Hyannis State Teachers College Alumni Fund, General Fund/ Annie Crowell Scholarship Fund. 1980–2004. 1 BOX 43 Folders. 3 ledgers.
All Financial Records of the Hyannis Normal School/Hyannis Teachers College Alumni Fund/General Fund/Annie Crowell Scholarship Fund 1980–2004 was delivered to the Cape Cod Foundation, August 22, 2007.
See also: http://library.bridgew.edu/exhibits/HSNS/index.html