Thomas Henry Knowles Papers
ca. 1859–1861 and n.d., 4 items incl. 1 vol.
Purchase, Richard Bourne Auction, 1975
Gift: Sylvia H. Knowles, 1975
Manufacturer; banker. Consists of his diary (1859–1861) which recounts his experiences as a student at Harvard College, Cambridge, and as a crew member on whaling ship Minerva; a list of the crew of the Minerva; a Commencement Program, Harvard College (1861); and a family photograph (1857) showing Knowles, his wife and children.
Also a biographical sketch which gives some genealogical data on the Knowles family.
Also Whaling with Captain Penniman: Log of Thomas Knowles, Edited by Donald S. Heines. Shank Painter Co: Orleans, 1995.
See also: www.archive.org/details/thomashenryknowl01thom
Folder 1: Acquisition correspondence. 1975
- Correspondence: O. Herbert McKenney to Sylvia Hathaway Knowles, August 22, 1975; September 9, 1975; October 28, 1975 re: journal of Thomas Knowles.
- Correspondence: Sylvia H. Knowles to O. Herbert McKenney, September 4, 1975 re: family photograph of Knowles family with her father Thomas Knowles.
See also: http://www.archive.org/details/collectionofpape01know
Folder 2: Biographical sketch
- 1 page, typewritten from Descendants of Richard Knowles, compiled by Virginia Knowles Hufbauer.
- 1 page (Xerox) from S. Deyo, History of Barnstable County, page 743.
- 1 page (newspaper clipping) “Slightly Salty” by George Moses “Codder put Frisco top in whaling” re: Josiah Nickerson Knowles and whaling family.
See also: http://www.archive.org/details/collectionofpape02know
Folder 3: Program, Commencement, Harvard College, 1861
12 pgs. Order of Exercises in Latin and English with Thomas Henry Knowles printed on Page 2; also Dance Invitation for Class Day June 21, 1861 taped to program. University Press: Printed by Welch, Bigelow & Co.
See also: http://www.archive.org/details/collectionofpape03know
Folder 4: Crew List for the Ship Minerva (1860)
1 page, hand script listing Master, Edward Penniman with 28 names and ranking, with 4 boatsteerers: William Angler, Thomas H. Johnson, Albert H. Wright, Daniel Penniman. No Thomas Knowles listed.
Folder 5: Family Photograph, 1857
1 black & white photograph, 8½x7" taken from daguerreotype taken in New Bedford, November 28, 1857; also with 1 typed sheet by Sylvia H. Knowles identifying persons in photograph. Thomas Knowles and his wife Mary Keith Eaton and their children:
Left front: Thomas Henry aged 20
Back row: Mary Eaton, aged 18 and Martha, aged 15, Sydney Williams, aged 13.
Front: Charles Sumner aged 7.
Folder 6: Diary (1859–1861)
Journal by Thomas Henry Knowles commenced October 11, 1858, Harvard College. Unpaged, hand script.
See also: http://www.archive.org/details/collectionofpape06know
Folder 7: Published transcription
Whaling with Captain Penniman: Log of Thomas Knowles. Edited by Donald S. Heines, 24 pages, afterword, and bibliography. Shank Painter: Provincetown. c1995.
See also: http://www.archive.org/details/collectionofpape07know