Harry Kemp Collection 1883–1960
This archive with finding aid was prepared by Giovanna Del Deo in 1991. She was part of Kemp’s First Landing Re-enactment in 1957 at the age of 6 months and again in 1961 (see pp. 14, 19, 20, 21, & 22). Contents of this collection were reported found in the Provincetown Dune Shack of Sunny Tasha.
Writings of Harry Kemp, “Poet of the Dunes” consists of various typescripts and various materials. Drafts of poems 1954–1957, printed poems from Provincetown Advocate 1949–1959. Letters, memorabilia, primary source material in two scrapbooks of clippings with content indexed. Also an opera score “Boccaccio’s Untold Tale”. Typescript of “Time of the Moon”.
[For portrait of Harry Kemp see Compass Grass: A Collection of Provincetown Portraits by Josephine C. Del Deo, Provincetown: Shank Painter Co. 1963. For best anthology see Poet of the Dunes by Harry Kemp. Provincetown: Cape Cod Pilgrim Memorial Association, 1988.]
Restrictions: Request that researchers cite donors and archive when publishing materials.
Gift of: Josephine & Salvatore Del Deo, 1997
- Various printed poems and fragments, largely from the Provincetown Advocate (1949–1959)
- 60 typed or written drafts of poems
- 72 typed or written drafts of poems given to Dorothy Lambert, Associate Editor of the Advocate and marked by her dates 1954–1957.
- Letters, memorabilia and other primary source materials numbering 82 pages (These represent some important items) 1942–1960.
Scrapbook #1 and #2
- “Harry Kemp and His World” Arranged by topic with a table of contents. 1948–1960. Catalogued with contents.
- Score of an opera in one act based on a play by Harry Kemp entitled “Boccaccio’s Untold Tale”. Musical score by Edward L. Buchanan. 75 musical score sheets plus title page and dramatis personae.
- The Time of the Moon by Harry Kemp. Several drafts organized in numerical order.
- Excerpt from “Poet’s Pilgrimage” excerpt from “Tideways”.
- Unidentified typescript, possibly from the “Provincetown Tideways” series, source and date not identified; a short segment of a story.
- Publishing contract for “Cape Enders” by Harry Kemp, Macaulay Company, New York, 1930.
- Various un-catalogued archival papers: Notebook entitled: “New Notes on the Mayflower”
- Various newspaper articles: 1948, 1951, 1956, 1972.
- Constitution of the Provincetown Pilgrim Association.