Samuel A. Jones Papers: 1882-1926
Repository: W.B. Nickerson Cape Cod History Archives
Creator: Samuel A. Jones, 1854–1933
Title: Papers, 1882–1926
Quantity: 1 box containing 14 folders
Abstract: Affidavits, deeds, mortgages, lease agreements, mortgage discharges, receipts, assessor's warrants, tax bills and letters dealing with Samuel A. Jones' work as Mashpee Town Tax Collector between 1882–1926.
Re-processed: November 2011
Re-processed by: Julie Mockabee, Simmons College Intern
Acquistion Information: Donor information is unknown.
Samuel A. Jones (SAJ) was born in 1854 to Achsah and William Jones of the Wampanoag Tribe. He had four sisters, Mary S., Alimra B., Caroline F., and Abby. His father died young and his mother raised the family on her own until her death in 1870. SAJ worked for the Town of Mashpee as tax collector from about 1894–1929. In January of 1877, SAJ married Melissa Z. Attaquin, the daughter of Solomon Attaquin. Solomon Attaquin was a native of Mashpee and the Christian Indian tribe. He married Cynthia Conant of Plymouth County and they had three children, of which Melissa was one. The marriage of SAJ and Melissa Attaquin was short, as she died in childbirth 9 months after their marriage in September of 1877. SAJ was dedicated to his post as tax collector as can be seen through the items in the collection. He was also fond of hunting. He died on August 29, 1933 at the age of 79.
Scope and Content:
The Samuel A. Jones papers include 14 folders of documents relating to his career as tax collector of the town of Mashpee from 1882–1926. There are several personal documents as well. The focus of the collection is on SAJ's work as tax collector and does not touch on his life outside the public domain. Document types found in the collection are: affidavits, deeds, mortgages, lease agreements, mortgage discharges, receipts, assessor's warrants, tax bills, letters and a leather-bound tax book.
Website containing information relating to the early days of the Town of Mashpee written in 1890.
Arrangement: 1 box: bound book, Folders 1–14.
Item 1: Samuel A. Jones Tax Collector's Book, 1908
Folder 1: Personal Correspondence 1888 and 1913 (2 items)
- Personal note from SC McKenney, Jr., watchmaker to SAJ, January 17, 1888.
- Letter to Silas Hatch re: estate of Mary Whiting, March 3, 1913.
Folder 2: Trout Fishing Agreement, 1882 (1 item)
Agreement between AJ Perkins, GG Lowell and LB Morse leasing Trout Fishing of Mashpee River, area to be watched by Samuel A. Jones, March 1882.
Folder 3: Postal Receipts, 1893 (1 item)
Registry return receipt from Post Office, March 24, 1893 sent with letter to George F. Stevens from New Bedford, MA
Folder 4: Receipts of Tax Given to Town Treasury, 1894-1896 (2 items)
- Payment of taxes collected given to town treasurer, July 28, 1894.
- Payment of taxes collected given to town treasurer, February 4, 1896.
Folder 5: Barnstable Patriot Receipts, 1898 and 1904 (2 items)
- Receipt of payment from Barnstable Patriot for collection notices published re: Anna M. Jonas, June 20, 1898.
- Receipt for payment from Barnstable Patriot for collection notices published re: Darius Coombs, January 5, 1904.
Folder 6: Newspaper Clippings, 1898-1909 (4 items)
- Collector's Notice to Anna Jonas, June 16, 1898.
- Tax Collector's Briefs, October 1, 1908.
- Sale of Real Estate notice for unpaid taxes, October, 1908.
- Tax Collector's Briefs, March 11, 1909.
Folder 7: Items relating to Samuel A. Jones and James L. Lawrence, 1898-1899 (4 items)
- Affidavit, July 9, 1898 re: notice to James L. Lawrence.
- Affidavit, July 9, 1898 re: certification that notice was posted at James L. Lawrence residence.
- Affidavit of Demand, March 13, 1899 re: James L. Lawrence.
- Affidavit of Posting and Publishing, November 18, 1899 re: James L. Lawrence.
Folder 8: Items relating to Samuel A. Jones and Fletcher Clark, 1910-1921 (5 items)
- Mortgage to Fletcher Clark, March 17, 1910.
- Mortgage discharge, July 3, 1913 between Samuel A. Jones and Fletcher Clark.
- Receipt of payment to Fletcher Clark, February 26, 1914.
- Mortgage, February 28, 1914 for Fletcher Clark.
- Mortgage holder certificate, October 8, 1921 from Samuel A. Jones to Fletcher Clark.
Folder 9: Items relating to Samuel A. Jones and Carlton H. Tomer, 1911 and 1926 (2 items)
- Lease agreement, July 1, 1911 between Samuel A. Jones and Carlton H. Tomer.
- Lease agreement, July 1, 1926 between Samuel A. Jones and Carlton H. Tomer.
Folder 10: Affidavits, Demands and Postings, 1896-1911 (4 items)
- Affidavit of Posting and Publishing, August 8, 1896 re: unknown party, clipping has been removed from bottom of notice.
- Affidavit, July 9, 1898 re: notice served to Alida R. Thompson for demand for payment of taxes.
- Affidavit, October 31, 1907 re: demand for tax payment from heirs of Achsah Jones.
- Warrant for payment of taxes, March 13, 1911 to Shomas S. Richards for unpaid taxes for three years.
Folder 11: Assessors Warrants, 1909-1910 (2 items)
- Assessors warrant to Samuel A. Jones for amounts of tax he must collect from residents, March 1, 1909.
- Assessors warrant to Samuel A. Jones for amounts of tax he must collect from residents, March 7, 1910.
Folder 12: Tax Bills, 1908-1914 (3 items)
- Tax Bill 1908, blank.
- Tax Bill 1912, blank.
- Tax Bill 1914, to Mrs. Hazel B. Prescott.
Folder 13: Quitclaim Deeds, no date and 1909 (2 items)
- Property Title of estate of William Jones, no date.
- Quitclaim deed, May 29, 1909 for Edmund B. Amos.
Folder 14: Discharge Mortgage, 1889 (1 item)
Discharge of Mortgage, August 10, 1889 to Oliver M. Holmes.
Added Entries/Cataloging Entries
Coombs, George R.
Jones, Samuel A.
Trout Fishing of Mashpee River (Organization)
Affidavits – Massachusetts
Deeds – Massachusetts
Leases – Massachusetts
Mashpee River (Massachusetts)
Municipal officials and employees – Massachusetts
Real property – Massachusetts
Tax assessment – Massachusetts
Tax collection – Massachusetts
Trout fishing – Massachusetts
Wampanoag Indians – Massachusetts
Warrants (Law) – Massachusetts