The Advantage Program offers free tutoring in most subjects. We have math tutors, science tutors, English tutors, and we will try and make accomodations to any students who need help in other subjects. We have both professional and student tutors available.
Tutoring takes place in the Advantage Program office, Maureen M. Wilkens Building (formerly South), Room 221. Make appointments through the office (x4321) or online.
Advantage/ TRiO /SSS
Tutoring Guidelines & Responsibilities
Before the tutoring session
- Read all assigned material. Study your text and notes.
- Attempt all homework. Tutoring is not "homework time"
For a successful tutoring session
- Always bring your textbook and notes from lectures, along with other relevant materials.
- Expect to be actively involved in working problems and discussing class material.
- Ask the tutor to re-state or re-explain anything you do not understand.This is your time to become very clear about course information.
- Be 5 minutes early for sessions.
Between tutoring sessions
- Continue to attend class.
- Continue to read, review, attempt assignments and write down questions for your tutor.
- Use other resources such as your professor's office hours or create study groups.
Policies to Know
- All tutoring appointments are individual, one-on-one sessions. Only upon request we offer group appointments.
- Link to Advantage tutoring is for scheduling, changing appointments and tutoring information, and must be checked weekly. Walk-ins are welcome but scheduled appointments are served first.
- Attend all scheduled tutorial sessions or, if an unavoidable conflict arises, use the link above to cancel or reschedule the appointment or call x4321.
- Students are allowed 60 minutes tutor time weekly in each subject. For above 60 minutes, exceptions can be made upon request from your academic advisor.
- Tutoring will be terminated after two "no-shows", repeated cancellations, or lack of participation. This policy is strictly enforced.
- A student must be enrolled in the class for which he/she requests tutoring. Exceptions can be made upon request from your academic advisor.
- Tutors and students are expected to work with all persons without bias or prejudice. Only in cases of conflict will changes be made.
- All tutoring sessions should take place in Maureen M. Wilkens Building (formerly South), Room 221 unless otherwise approved.
- Under no circumstance should students ever ask or expect a tutor to complete any work for them. Remember, this is a tutoring session.
Tutors and students are encouraged to exchange college e-mail and other contact information in the first session! Tutors have access to the contact information listed on the request form. This exchange can save time and confusion regarding upcoming sessions.
- Tutoring is NOT a substitution for class attendance and participation. Students must be attending class to receive tutoring.
- Tutors are not MIRACLE WORKERS!
- With class work, it's easier to KEEP UP than to CATCH UP.
- Please be patient with scheduling sessions. Tutoring is a free service.
- Cancellations and "no-shows" can become quite an area of frustration. Please be considerate of your fellow students.
All questions, comments or suggestions should be referred to:
(508) 362-2131 x4509